home meet the team recipes rick brimhall photography what we believe

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

You Are My Sonshine

From the second that we found out I was pregnant, we both just knew it was a girl. I had dreams about my baby girl. We had her name picked out. We figured out how we were going to decorate the nursery. Occasionally we would say something like "should we come up with some boy names, just in case?" And we never would because we just knew we wouldn't need to bother with any boy related stuff. We were having a girl, no questions asked.

The night before the anatomy scan where they would be looking over the baby from head to toe to make sure it was healthy, and where we would be having them confirm that our baby was indeed a girl, I made myself get in the mindset of having a boy. I daydreamed about having a son. I pictured Rick coming home from work in the middle of the night, picking up his son, then rocking him in the rocking chair while he sang to him. Then of course Rick would fall asleep in the rocking chair and in the morning that's where I would find both of my boys. Rick has already admitted that this will definitely happen. He'll come home from work now, lay on the ground "for a minute" to play with the dog, and 5 hours later I'll find them both asleep on the floor. I day dreamed about having a mama's boy who will scare me to death when he wants to jump out of swings or climb rocks or hunt for scorpions. I thought about going to sporting events, or concerts, or whatever he would be interested in. As I was thinking about all of these things, I started to fall asleep, and for a split second I had a dream where I walked into my house and saw a house full of boys. And I was so, so happy. I texted Rick that night and told him that if by some small chance our baby actually was a boy, it would be so much fun and I would be so happy with a house full of boys.

We got to the appointment and the ultrasound tech started to look everything over. She was going to check everything from head to toe, but save the gender check for the last thing. We loved to see that sweet little face, those big beautiful lips and the wide nose (both traits from Rick). Everything about this babe was perfectly healthy, and we were so happy. While she was checking the belly, suddenly the baby did a crazy flip and we were looking right at 2 legs and a little bum. She said "This kid is giving me a shot of the goods, you want to know now?" We were so excited and told her to tell us. "There is no denying it - you're having a BOY!" We were both shocked and we couldn't help but laugh. We kept asking her if she was sure and she checked 2 more times. Rick said "This isn't going to be one of those things where you tell me that it's a boy but then when it's born it's a girl, right?" She said "Trust me, it's a boy. I've been doing this for a long time and I haven't been wrong yet."

We've had a few weeks to wrap our heads around having a boy, and we can't wait to meet this little guy. We haven't bought any baby stuff yet because we live in a teeny 1 bedroom apartment with no room for anything. We're moving in June and decided to wait until then to buy any baby stuff. I went up to Utah for a few weeks and while I was there I had a baby shower where we celebrated this little dude, and seeing those tiny outfits made it so much more real and exciting. I thought that they only made cute stuff for girls, but I was wrong, boy stuff is to die for.

He has a name. Probably. I think. I still think I will need to see his face to know for sure, but for right now we're 99% positive we've got his name picked out.

I'm feeling better, but still sick. Every day I tell Rick I just want him here. I want him healthy and happy, but I don't want to be pregnant anymore. Some women are awesome at being pregnant. I'm not one of them. I did have a 6 week stretch where I felt awesome and only got nauseous or threw up about once a week, but I fear that those 6 weeks might have been a fluke. Or a blessing. Whichever. I also just want him here because I'm dying to know if this kid is going to have hair or not. I don't know why he wouldn't have hair, but still, what if?    



Look at that beautiful face! Love this boy.

3 comments:

Selena said...

OH MY GOSH. I am so excited for you guys. I can't wait to meet this lil guy. Baby baby baby!!! Ah!

The Kessler's said...

You will LOVE your baby boy! I loved my girl, but there's just something about a baby boy that's different. I can't put my finger on it, but you will know when you feel it. Congratulations!

Bobbie said...

Congrats you two. Cute story and boys really are so sweet and fun!!