home meet the team recipes rick brimhall photography what we believe

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Eye Doctor

I have the best story.

But first, a shout out. I had been hating the way my blog looked for a while. So I decided to fix it, but instead I ruined everything and it looked awful. I hated all the free blog backgrounds I saw online that either had too much going on and it made me nauseous to look at or it looked fine but was bombarded by the gigantic logo of whoever made the blog. I had remembered that a friend from High School started a little company where she designs blogs. I decided to have her design it for me and I totally love how it turned out. It's simple and clean and she was able to fix the problem I was having with my pictures. Her name is Erika and you can go to her website by clicking HERE. She even has free backgrounds and Facebook cover photos you can use. By the way, she didn't ask me to say anything about it and I don't think she knows I'm doing this because I don't know if she reads my blog, but I really was impressed with how she made it look exactly how I wanted it.

So back to my story...

I needed new contacts and Rick needed new glasses so we made an appointment to see the eye doctor. While we were there Rick asked if he would ever be able to wear contacts. He has always been told that his astigmatisms were too bad for contacts but whenever we go to the eye doctor he will ask to see if they've invented contacts yet for eyes as bad as his. And guess what? They have. The Doctor said that he will likely never be a candidate for lasik eye surgery, but he could definitely wear contacts. His eyes are so bad that they didn't have any samples for his prescription and astigmatisms but they would order some. So we left and a week later they called us and said that the samples had arrived. Since he had never worn contacts before, they said that they would be putting them in and taking them out for him. He agreed, and he seriously was a champion about it. When I first got contacts they asked if I wanted them to put them in for me and what I said was "No, I'll try it" but what I meant was "If anyone touches my eyeballs except for me I will freak out, punch them in the face, and then throw up." He sat still the entire time but he kept making a face that was making me laugh and then it was making him laugh and then it was making it a lot harder for the lady putting in his contacts.


I probably shouldn't have been in the room with them because I'm sure I was making things harder. But how can you watch what I watched and not laugh?

He wore the contacts for a while but one of them was really bugging him and was really blurry. They are going to order another pair of trial contacts for him with a different prescription and we are waiting for them to call us so he can go try them. He really wants to be able to wear contacts, but he's also nervous that he will look weird without glasses. I laughed when he said that because that's like saying "I think I'll look weird with my braces off, better keep 'em on." But he has been wearing glasses for the past 25 years so it makes sense. A different girl took the contacts out for him, and I had the horror of watching it up close. It was one of those things where you were so disgusted but you couldn't look away. Like looking at roadkill or a dog eating it's own poop. She couldn't grasp the contact lens so she kept trying to squeeze it over and over, and I was watching his eyeball bounce around. Rick sat there stiff as a board and I nearly fainted. I'm usually pretty good about handling gross things but now I know  2 things I can't deal with - spit and eyeballs.

We decided that he still should get a new pair of glasses to keep as a back up if the contacts do work out because the glasses he has now are super beat up. We walked out of the doctors office and into the glasses shop and Rick went to talk to someone so he could order the glasses he wanted. I sat down in a chair that was right by one of those spinning things with glasses on them that was right by the door. If someone walked in they wouldn't have been able to see me unless they looked around the spinning glasses display. I set my purse on my lap and started to play with my phone while I waited for Rick. I heard the bell that meant that someone had just walked into the shop, but I didn't look up from my phone. The lady who walked in walked immediately to her left so she wouldn't be in the way of anyone else coming in or out of the doors. She was standing with her back facing me, to the right of me right by my knees, and really close to me, almost touching. I felt a pressure on my leg and looked up to see that she was touching my purse that was on my knee. I looked up at her and then I saw that in her other hand she had a walking stick. She was blind. I don't think she was totally blind, because she had really thick glasses on and because later we made eye contact, but still, she was blind. My purse is made of a plastic-ish material so I'm sure she was trying to figure out what the heck it was. Because her back was facing me she had no idea that I was there. I figured that if I moved my purse to the ground and adjusted myself she would figure out what was up. But I was wrong. For one split second she removed her hand from my purse, and that is when I made the move to put it on the ground. After that she went back looking for it. She lightly put her fingers right on my knee. I wasn't sure what to do at this point, and I looked up at a lady who was sitting across the room from me and we just both looked at each other like "uuuuhhhhhhhh". Then it happened, and it happened so fast that I couldn't stop it. She put more pressure on her fingers and quickly ran them up my leg. By the time she made it to mid-thigh, she realized what was happening. She quickly withdrew her hand then then turned and looked at me and said "Oh my goodness....I am so sorry!"

She kept apologizing and I kept reassuring her that it was okay and I'm sure it was just as embarrassing for her as it was for me, if not more, but really I was just thinking "where the hell is Rick?!" A nice gentlemen moved his chair out for her to sit in but she didn't want to move to sit in it, she wanted to sit where she was standing, right by my legs. She sat down and he came and sat in the chair next to me and no matter how I sat I was touching both of them. I had had enough physical contact with strangers for one day and I started to panic wondering where Rick was. He finally appeared and looked at me like "why are you sitting so close to both of those people when there are 10 other empty chairs in this room?" And I looked at him like "help me!" I had to step over the lady's legs to get out from this little corner I was trapped in, and as soon as we made it out the door and down the hallway I had to sit down from laughing while I told him what had just happened to me.

Whenever they call us to tell us his contacts are ready, he's going back by himself.

1 comment:

Chaplain Tami said...

The two of you make the most mundane things an adventure.