home meet the team recipes rick brimhall photography what we believe

Friday, December 07, 2012

Back

In the Railroad world, when you get "bumped" it means that someone with more seniority than you took your job, and you have to put yourself on another job. This usually happens when the management cuts jobs, so instead of having 20 people on a specific assignment, they will cut 10, and so 10 people need to find another job to work. Hence, they have to bump 10 other people, etc. Rick kept getting bumped and was unable to work for 5 days. We decided that our time in Arkansas was up and it was time to go back to Arizona. As soon as we made the decision that we were really done, I couldn't get out of that place fast enough. We got packed up and left the next day. We didn't even have an apartment to go to in Arizona, but that wasn't gonna stop us.

Since we bought a car earlier this year, we had to drive 2 cars back separately. Rick always talks about how when he goes on long road trips by himself he will end up talking to himself. I always thought he was crazy until I had to drive by myself through Texas. Texas was a real B-word to drive through, and I was the only person I had to talk to. Luckily I'm good company. Halfway through our trip Rick was able to find us an apartment in Tucson. We pulled up to the apartments right as they were closing and were barely able to get the paperwork signed and get our keys. We unloaded all the stuff from our cars and then went to a nearby hotel and passed out. The next day we were able to go to our storage unit to get the rest of the stuff we needed. I really love our apartment, but I also love that we don't live in the middle of nowhere like we did in Arizona City. We got a really small 1 bedroom apartment, but compared to the hotel room, it's humongous. Except somehow my kitchen is smaller than the one in the hotel, but this one has an oven so I'm happy with it.

We've been back for about a week, and we've already been able to spend time with my nanny family, Rick's brother and his family in Phoenix. and go see the Christmas lights at the Mesa temple. It feels good to be back, and I really hope that this time goes a lot better than the last time we moved to Tucson.

2 comments:

Chaplain Tami said...

You are closer which I love. We never came to see you in Arkansas which I don't love. You are indeed good company. xoxoxo

Lucky to be the mom said...

I warned you about I-10 ... longest drive ever!!!
I love you, and your blog :)