home meet the team recipes rick brimhall photography what we believe

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Procrastinating

Right now I am supposed to be finishing up one of my last big school projects that is due on Sunday night. I just can't seem to work up the motivation to get the dang (I'm way better at not swearing lately, so damn proud of myself) thing finished. So instead I have watched the new episodes of Modern Family and 30 Rock, polished off a box of cereal, made cookies, and now here I am writing this blog.

I have a lot to blog about. We've been to Arizona, Sea World, Utah, and Rick had a birthday. I tried to change my blog background and I somehow ruined everything. I've got it kind of fixed but not really. I just want it to be all one solid color, no boxes, so that when I put my large pictures up they don't overlap the stuff on my side bar. No idea how to fix it. Anyone have any ideas? Cause it's driving me crazy.

I deleted my Facebook recently because I hate everyone it's a positive energy sucking black hole. I understand that it's Political season, and I think that people should care about politics and should pay attention and have an opinion, but seriously, what does anyone accomplish by posting political crap on Facebook? Do people honestly think that they are going to change someone's political opinion by sharing a photo of someone running for President with a quote or "fact"? The only thing this does is invites people of the opposing party to argue with you. The best is when people post something about politics and then get mad when people disagree. Really, what did you think would happen? And then they're like "This is MY Facebook, I can say what I want!" When you post something as arguable as politics on your Facebook, you are inviting everyone to disagree with you. It's a social networking site, not your password journal (remember those?) If you want to make a difference in this Country, vote.

I also deleted my Facebook because it was such a huge waste of time. I told Rick that this is going to be the only time in my life where I am jobless, kid less, and in a foreign land. I hate that I'm wasting time. The day after I deleted it we found a "mountain" (so cute when the locals call hills mountains) and went hiking. It was awesome except we forgot mosquito repellent (also known as "skeeter don't" by everyone here) and the mosquitoes here are the size of birds. I'm not sure if these are mosquito bites or boils. But it still felt good to do something fun and worth while, even though we were right by a swamp and I could barely breathe. Which brings me to my next topic, Arkansas is not my favorite place. Some days I like it here and some days I want to go home, but I'm not sure exactly where home is. I think it's somewhere in Arizona. I find myself increasingly homesick for my nanny family. I miss Chad's food, talking to Christy everyday, but mostly I miss those sweet boys. Even on my absolute worst days with them, I would go home to Rick and tell him how much I love that family. They gave me something to love about Arizona when Team Brimhall was facing it's darkest moments. They saved us.

Our apartment contract is up next week. Rick is going back to AZ for a few days to go pack up all of our stuff and put it in storage. I'm not going with him because his ticket is free (paid for by the railroad) but we'd have to buy mine, and I don't want to spend the money just so I can do the one thing I hate most in this world - move. We will be saving a lot of money by not having to pay rent, utilities, etc. which is awesome, but I'm also anxious about it because we will technically be homeless. All of our stuff will be in a storage unit in Arizona and we'll be living here. It's still really weird to me that I live in a hotel. When we went to Arizona in August, Rick was able to go to the Ranch and see his parents after having not seen them for 2 years. While we were there we decided that whenever this Arkansas gig is up, we should move to Phoenix. Even though we both swore we'd never live there (go figure). If we live in Phoenix we will be closer to the Ranch and Rick's siblings by 2 hours, and Chad and Christy are moving to Phoenix in April. Rick will switch from working in the Tucson yard to the Phoenix yard, and he will have more seniority there because everybody hates working in Phoenix (120 degrees in the summer heat for 10 hours). I'm looking forward to whenever we go back to Arizona, and when we move this time it should be easy because all our stuff will already be boxed up and in storage, so it's already halfway done for us. Everybody wins. Except for Rick who has to go pack it all up by himself next week.

We recently realized that we saw each other more when we were living in Arizona City and I was working full time than we do now that we're here. There he was working every other day or every 2 days for 8-10 hours. When he works here, he works at least 8 hours, plus an hour commute each way, so he's gone a minimum of 10 hours, usually 12, and sometimes 14. Every day. Days off are rare. I decided to volunteer at the Hospital here because, why not? It's a humongous Hospital, I get lost every single time I go. Right now they have me working in the surgical waiting area, where friends and families of patients wait for their loved one to come out of surgery. Most of the surgeries that are done are to remove tumors, and at least once a day it's an emergency surgery that someone needs because of something like a car accident. Emotions run high in this room. It's like in the movies. Someone is always crying, and I'm always within earshot of a Doctor delivering news that the cancer has spread or they weren't able to remove all of the tumor. When I ask people if they need anything they either say nothing or they beg me to check on the status of their loved ones surgery. It's very sad, and I can see the fear in their eyes. One old man was waiting for his wife to come out of surgery, and he was very worried about her. I had no way of helping him until I found a stash of word searches. If you're ever in a surgical waiting area, print off some word searches. Those things sell like hot cakes.


2 comments:

Sabina said...

I miss you Jodi!!

Selena said...

That is so awesome that you're volunteering. And freaking good job for deleting your fb. It really is a life ruiner. it ruins peoples lives. but seriously...especially during the election season. it's the worst! Keep trucking Jodi and Rick!!!!!!!!!