home meet the team recipes rick brimhall photography what we believe

Friday, October 05, 2012

Just Barely

Just barely in his sleep Rick suddenly sat up and stuck his arms out like a Zombie. I was listening to music with headphones in so I couldn't hear him but I could see his lips moving. I took out the headphones and asked him what he needed. He mumbled something and the only thing I could make out was the word "people". I told him to speak up.

Loudly, he said, "The people over there. Are they in the Nintendo?"

Then he laid down and went back to sleep. I put my headphones back in and turned the music up a few notches. Seconds later, he sat up again and started waving his hands around trying to get my attention. He does this sometimes and it usually means he wants me to turn my music down because he can hear it and it's bugging him. I paused my music.

"Sorry, is my music too loud?"

"Do they even sell anything bigger than a 16 inch?"

"....what?"

"At the store, do they sell anything bigger than a 16 inch?"

"What store?"

"At drive-ups."

"A 16 inch what?"

"Whatever it is they sell at drive-ups."

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh, you're alright, it's just someones baking time."

I can't wait for him to wake up tomorrow morning to ask him what he was talking about. His eyes were open during this entire conversation, too. Also, drive UPS? Who calls them that? If you're talking about movies it's a Drive-In, if it's food it's Drive-Thru. What the crap is a Drive UP? I've never heard him (or anyone) call it a drive-up before.


No comments: