home meet the team recipes rick brimhall photography what we believe

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Worst

I am the worst person ever at keeping in touch.

Everyday I think "I should call (insert friend or family member's name) but...maybe they're busy. I should probably just wait until they call me. I don't want to bother them." Which is so stupid of me to think because if I call someone and they are busy they can either just not answer the phone or schedule a better time to talk. Or what if they are like "I should call Jodi, but wait, I have kids/a job/both and she has none of those things so if she wants to talk then homegirl can call me." And I won't even be offended if people think that, because it's true, I have no job and Rick works everyday for 12-14 hours. I've got some time on my hands.

I keep thinking "I need to ask Andrea about Disneyland" or "I need to call Lacey and tell her that I think I'm going to start a swear jar where I put $1 in a jar every time I swear and hopefully it'll rid me of this damn habit" but I usually think about this stuff when I'm at the grocery store and I am in no where near coordinated enough to talk on the phone and shop for everything on my list at the same time. I see Mom's with 4 kids talking on the phone and getting all their groceries at the same time without breaking a sweat. How is that even possible? The only time I call people when I'm grocery shopping is when I have to ask my mom where in the hell Walmart keeps coconut milk or when Rick and I get separated and we both start to panic. After I get home from grocery shopping I usually make dinner and then I'll turn on the TV and there will be a marathon on TLC of Honey Boo Boo Child and so obviously I will watch it. 5 hours later I will remember to call/text everyone but it's too late. Not like 10 pm too late, like 3 in the morning too late.

I vow to be better at this. I miss my friends and family a lot lately. I was never this homesick when we lived in Arizona, but Arkansas is way different. Arkansas is a place where hopes, dreams,  dental hygiene, and general well-being goes to die. I think part of the reason that I'm homesick is because it's getting cold here. I love Arizona because of the warmth, and because it never gets cold. I left Utah to escape the cold. And now it's cold here, but it's different cold. It's a humid cold, which is worse. And every time I get cold I get angry and I think "IF I'M GOING TO BE COLD I MIGHT AS WELL BE IN UTAH." And then Rick gets a look on his face like "what have I done to deserve this life?"

If you are one of those friends/family members who is like "I should call Jodi, but what if she's busy?" I'm not. Call me. Or text me. Or email me. Or Skype me.

P.S. We finally got a toaster oven. I had been looking for some but they were like $100 and gigantic. Like half the size of a regular oven. I have very limited counter space. But I was at the store and I found a perfect sized one for $20. It can barely fit a 9X9 pan in it but it's still perfect. I've finally been able to bake, and it's made living here a lot more bearable. I told myself that while I was here I wanted to try all the recipes I had seen on Pinterest, and I've actually been able to make a lot of new things. Some have been awful, but some are the kind of meals that get passed down from generation to generation. Our favorite meal is DORITO CHICKEN. The secret ingredient is, you guessed it, Doritos. When a recipe calls for Doritos, you don't second guess it.





5 comments:

Andrea said...

I need a swear jar. Don't tell anyone though.

I am horrible at keeping in touch tool have you seen my blog lately? That thing doesn't even know I've had a second kid yet, AND SHE IS 14 MONTHS OLD.

The Kessler's said...

I love that you're using a toaster oven. My Grandma uses one, and I love grandma things.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love you!! Get a damn swear jar. It might help.

Phil Manning said...

Ugh, humid winter. The worst. I bet you never imagined you'd miss a Utah winter... just wait!

deb said...

Would you hate me if I said I didn't like the dorito chicken recipe? Don't hate. I like doritos. and I like chicken. I want a toaster oven to make really yummy pizza rolls. And that is it.