home meet the team recipes rick brimhall photography what we believe

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Mama

I asked my mom what she wanted for Mother's Day this year and she said "write a blog post about me." How selfish, like Mother's Day is ALL about her. Just because she gave birth to me and my 3 siblings and then did everything she could to get my sister Ripsy to be a part of our family. Just because she did an awesome job raising us. Just because she is the first Female Chaplain in the history of the LDS church who knows everything about every religion possible and would teach us about other religions for Family Home Evening. Just because she was a working mom who saved lives of troubled teenagers and still managed to keep a clean house and have a warm meal ready every evening. Just because of those things she thinks she gets a whole blog post dedicated to her, when I could easily write about other things such as how interesting Dr. Phil is going to be this month or how cold my house is? Well, fine. Have it your way, Mom.

TOP 10 THINGS I LOVE ABOUT MY MOM

1. Anytime I have a question about cleaning, cooking, or anything else in life, she has an answer for me.

2. She has a bright blue suit that has yellow school buses on it. It makes me smile every time I'm at work and from across campus I can spot "the magic school bus" outfit.

3. She laughs at my misfortune, which then makes me laugh about it, which makes me realize I'm being over dramatic about something. Like one time when I was in High School and in the midst of boy drama (I don't even remember what it was) I said "Mom, do you think I'm ever going to get married?" She looked me right in the eye, patted my back, and said with complete sympathy "No, Honey." We laughed for 5 minutes.

4. "Jodi, when I die, I want to have a closed casket. Seriously, there is nothing beautiful about looking at a dead body. Just keep the casket closed. Unless I've lost like 50 pounds and I look really good. If I look the best I've ever looked then yeah have it be an open casket, otherwise keep it shut." And "At my funeral, I don't want you guys to tell sob stories and talk about how much you miss me, that's not fun, I want you guys to get up there and talk about all the embarrassing things I've done in life. I want people to be crying tears of laughter. I've already started writing down all my embarrassing stories that you can talk about."

5. My mom is honest. She has no problem telling me "That color of brown looks hideous on you. You look good in black, red, blue, purple, dark brown, and pink. Don't ever wear gold, yellow, brown, or green, those are colors that look good on Jensenne." And one time when I was first experimenting with eyeliner I wore it just on my bottom eyelid and when I came out of the bathroom she looked at me and said "...why does your face look upside down?"

6. She buys me clothes. For no reason.

7. She always has been and always will be a "cheerleader mom" even if it's with things that are not that cool. For example: my blog. She loves it. I'm not even really sure why. But she can't just leave it at "I like your blog", she is my number 1 reader, number 1 commenter, and she talks about my blog on facebook, and probably to strangers standing in line at Maceys. It's almost embarrassing.

8. She has horrible luck when it comes to looking normal in public. One time she ran errands all day and then went to work. At the end of her work day someone told her her fly was down. And it had been all day. Another time she was in her office using one of THESE exercise bands and she got it completely tangled in her super curly hair and the campus safety officer had to come help her get it out. Another time she was in in Nauvoo and she walked around everywhere with her dressed tucked into her pantyhose. When she said she is writing a list of embarrassing stories for us tell at her funeral, she wasn't kidding.

9. She is the ultimate example of patience and unconditional love and she isn't afraid to show her true feelings.

10. She is, without a doubt, the biggest smart ass I've ever met. It makes my life way funnier.





Love you Mama

6 comments:

Tami Harris said...

I ditched the jacket with the school buses on it. Sorry, I didn't know you liked it. Great blog sweetie. We have had some good laughs together haven't we? I love to laugh. Maybe that's what I love most about your blog. It makes me laugh, it makes my heart sing and it lets me know that all of those times when you pretended like I was the most boring person on the planet with nothing noteworthy to say, you were actually paying attention. (I knew it!) I love you so much. As dad said when you were a newborn, you are, "Just what we needed."

Becca said...

Um this was adorable. I think I will copy you. Not word for word...but almost. haha jk, but I'll do a mother's day post too. good thinking Jodi's mom.

she sounds A-mazing! Seriously, what a great mom. I LOVED the "no honey" part. I'm pretty sure I want to be that way too. because it is SO funny.

Karen T said...

Jodi, you write the most wonderful things. Such a great tribute to your mom (who I adore)! I can't wait for the day my kids decide they can tell me they like me.

Courtney J said...

You know, I'm really sick of crying whenever I read a remotely touching/emotional post of yours. I love your mom just from this post alone. One time, she came to my work and i knew who she was but I didn't tell her cause she would thing I'm way creepy and my face would have gone red.
Oh and I'm going to copy you.

Tami Harris said...

Tell Courtney to introduce herself to me the next time she sees me. I would love to meet her. The only slightly creepy part will be that I will probably have toilet paper stuck to my shoe.

Lucky to be the mom said...

I love your mom! I don't know where I would be without her! She always knows just what and when I need her. I'm blessed to have her in my life...and because she's your mom I have you in my life too! Double win for me :) Let's add the rest of the family too, ya?