home meet the team recipes rick brimhall photography what we believe

Tuesday, March 06, 2012

False Hopes

I've debated over whether or not I should blog about this, there are pros and cons to doing it, and even though I don't really want to, I realized that if what happened to me happened to someone else that I know and I didn't tell them about my experience, I would feel guilty. This is preventable. So, here we go. This is one of those TMI blog posts where I talk about girl stuff. Be warned.

Not long ago I was 4 days late, and nauseous. I took a pregnancy test one morning. I waited the 3 minutes it said to wait and then I read the test. It was positive. This wasn't a test that had the plus or negative sign on it, it was an electronic one that said the word "PREGNANT" on it. I was thrilled. I screamed for Rick. I showed him the test. We laughed and hugged and cried and laughed some more. Pregnant!

We had a busy day ahead of us. We had to hurry and get ready and meet a friend for lunch in Phoenix and then go shopping afterward. I wanted to take another test but we didn't have time, so we left. We finished our lunch and then went to Ikea. While we were walking around in the magical land of duvet covers and kitchen appliances, my back started to ache. The pain got worse as we continued to walk around. We bought our stuff and left. We went to Rick's brothers house to visit and while we were there I felt better. We all needed some stuff so we decided to go to Costco. While we were walking around Costco the back pain came back but I also started having cramps. I was getting a little worried because I didn't know if that was normal but I told myself that as long as I wasn't bleeding I would be okay. After Costco we went to get some food to take to my Sister-in-Law, Megann, who was on her lunch break. While we were at the sandwich shop getting our food I went to the bathroom and I saw blood. My heart stopped. I had no idea what to do. Luckily, we were about to go visit Megann who works at the Hospital in the ER.

When we got to the Hospital I went to the bathroom again and there was a lot more blood, and the cramps were much worse. When I saw Megann I pulled her aside, told her what was going on, and asked her if I should check in since we were already at the Emergency Room. She said that to be safe I probably should. Because she works at the Hospital she was able to get me the VIP treatment. Bless her for that. Each time I told a Dr./Nurse/Tech what was happening I would cry. I knew I had a family history of miscarriages, fertility issues, PCOS, and ovarian cysts. The odds that this baby would be okay were not in my favor. I was scared.

The Doctor ordered a urine test, blood test, and ultrasound. Once those were done it was just a waiting game. 3 hours later the Physicians Assistant came back with my results.

"We got your blood work back. Everything looks normal. Your blood type is O+ which is good to know for when you really do get pregnant. Your pregnancy test was negative. You're not pregnant. My guess is you're just starting your period."

I was in absolute shock. Not pregnant? How could that happen? I told him that my home pregnancy test was positive. He said I must have been given a false positive, or I read the test wrong. I asked him what would cause a false positive and he didn't know. He left and I cried and cried. Not pregnant?

The Doctor came in to go over my results with me more in depth. He basically said the same thing. I asked him what causes a false positive and he couldn't tell me either. He said I probably read the test wrong. I DIDN'T READ THE TEST WRONG. Here is a picture of the test right after I took it.


I didn't read it wrong.

I was in shock and I just wanted to go home. I was sad and frustrated and embarrassed that I was that idiot girl who went to the ER cause she was on her period. I went from thinking I was pregnant to thinking I was miscarrying to learning I was neither in a 10 hour period.

When we got home I researched false positives. Nothing gave me an answer. It told me that false positives are extremely rare and only happen under the following conditions:

1. You've recently had an abortion or miscarriage and have leftover HCG hormone in your body - that wasn't the case for me, this would have been my first pregnancy.
2. You read the test wrong - I DIDN'T.
3. The test was expired - I checked the box and the test expires in April of 2013.
4. You're on certain medications - I'm not on any.

None of those fit me. And nothing made sense. I was still so sad and so confused. I decided to research by the brand of pregnancy test that I used - clear blue. And that is when I hit the jackpot.

DON'T EVER BUY A CLEAR BLUE PREGNANCY TEST!

They are faulty and have been giving women false positives for years. One woman had a similar experience as me. She got a positive result, made an appointment with her OBGYN, and while she was there she learned she wasn't pregnant. One woman and her husband had been trying to get pregnant for SEVEN YEARS and she got a false positive. Can you imagine?

A false positive pregnancy test isn't like getting a false positive strep test where you just accidentally take antibiotics when you don't need to. This is thinking that you're going to bring another human into this world. This is thinking that you're going to become parents. A pregnancy is a big deal! I spent 3 hours in the ER and am now awaiting the bill from the Hospital because a $12 pregnancy test failed me. Don't ever buy a Clear Blue pregnancy test.

8 comments:

Selena said...

Reading this made me so sad again! I'm so sorry that this happened to you. What the clear blue? What's wrong with you???

Marie said...

It will happen. I didn't even know you and Rick were trying. I had a miscarriage about 2 years ago now. I didn't even know I was pregnant. The day my period came I thought nothing of it until I started bleeding a ton. I left work, went to the doc, and though we'd used birth control it didn't work. I was about a month and a half along. My doctor told me it's quite possible for a woman to have a miscarriage like that. You wont even know if you're pregnant until the miscarriage.

I'm sorry, Jodi. Hopefully soon you guys will have a sweet little baby added to your family.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry this happened. I don't think I will ever use a clear blue pregnancy test just to be safe. It sounds like what happened to me a couple years ago. It turned out to be a chemical pregnancy. http://miscarriage.about.com/od/onetimemiscarriages/p/chemicalpreg.htm.

Sara said...

Jodi,
So sorry! I can't imagine how frustrating that could be. I've never really understood why women take two test. Now I get it. So sorry.

Sarah said...

I am also sorry that this happened :( But thank you so much for sharing, I will make sure I never buy one of the those (and spread the word), and honestly, I've loved the Walmart brand. Two cost like..$6. Granted, I've only taken two or three, but they always had the correct result.

Best wishes to you two for the future. I love reading your blog!

deb said...

That is the most heart-breaking thing ever. I am sorry that you and Rick had to go through this (and probably still going through). I wish I were full of wisdom, and comforting words. All I can say is, "Chin up, Buttercup." It will all be ok.

Lucky to be the mom said...

:( There are NO words to accurately describe the range of feelings you go through, even in that short period of time....I understand :( and I'm sad for you.
When it DOES happen you will be wonderful parents!

Also, I've decided something - a Jodi wish, you might call it. You've done more vomiting than anyone I know who has never had a baby! SO, when you do get pregnant, NO morning sickness for you. NONE! Deal?

You're right, I would be sad if I didn't know...tmi or not, I love you!

Anonymous said...

I have not known how to comment on this one. When you told me and started your words with,"Don't say a word until I've finished my story," I was a wretched bundle of nerves.

When it does happen you and Rickin Chicken will be wonderful parents. I know because you are already wonderful.